Tags: amount, attorney, atv, brand, cover, homeowner, homeowners, insurance, law, lawyer, legal, pay, property, stolen, texasbrmy

My Homeowner's won't cover my stolen ATV from my property!

On Lawyer & Legal » Insurance Law

5,264 words with 10 Comments; publish: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 14:52:00 GMT; (80062.50, « »)

Texas

My brand new ATV was stolen from my property on Monday but my Homeowner's Insurance will not cover the pay off amount. I will never see the ATV again. Is there anyway to get my insurance to cover it or at least pay a portion.

The ATV was in my backyard, in my barn.

All Comments

Leave a comment...

• 10 Comments
    • Why are they saying they won't cover it? Was the barn locked? Were the keys in the ATV? Was the ATV worth an amount which should have had it under an additional rider?
      #1; Wed, 31 Jan 2007 15:11:00 GMT
    • Quote:
      === Original Words ===

No ATV is covered under homeowner's insurance, which I told him in another thread. It is covered by special lines insurance, or ATV insurance, which he didn't have.

You can't buy insurance after the fact. It won't cover prior claims. If that was the case, people wouldn't buy insurance until after they've been involved in an accident, or been diagnosed with some horrible disease.

I never thought insurance would cover prior acts. Sorry if I led you or OP to believe that! And I hate when people post in more than one thread.
      #2; Wed, 31 Jan 2007 19:05:00 GMT
    • No, the keys were not in the 4 wheeler; it was in Neutral inside an unlocked barn. Of all nights that we don't lock it up, huh? Anyway, we owe $6000 on it. I was not the one that talked to the insurance so I am not sure the reason. All i know is they said that it was not applicable

Any advice? I realize that we bought it and have to pay for it, but is there anything out there that helps in circumstances like this?

#3; Wed, 31 Jan 2007 16:01:00 GMT
    • Quote:
      === Original Words ===

#4; Wed, 31 Jan 2007 16:19:00 GMT
    • Quote:
      === Original Words ===

I thought about that too, but then the OP may have bought it with a credit card.
      #5; Fri, 09 Feb 2007 11:00:00 GMT
    • Quote:
      === Original Words ===

Homeowners' Insurance specifically excludes the ATV as follows;

PROPERTY NOT COVERED

Motor vehicles or all other land conveyance nor vehicles or conveyances NOT subject to motor vehicle registration, UNLESS used to service the Insured's Residence or assisting a handicapped person.

What did you use the ATV for EXACTLY? Recreation? Hunting? Where was the ATV when it was stolen?

#6; Fri, 09 Feb 2007 08:34:00 GMT
    • Im surprised the loan company did not require he have insurance for loss if the ATV was used as collateral.
      #7; Thu, 08 Feb 2007 18:32:00 GMT
    • Quote:
      === Original Words ===

They may have. However, MANY people get the insurance policy started, to get the vehicle, then don't pay another bill.
      #8; Thu, 08 Feb 2007 19:37:00 GMT
    • Quote:
      === Original Words ===

And then they complain when something happens and they have to continue paying for something that they no longer have.
      #9; Fri, 09 Feb 2007 00:18:00 GMT